Insulating your home is important to maintain energy efficiency around the property. A rim joist is a board placed on top of the sill plate that marks the connection between the foundation and the exterior wall of your home. Rim joists form a part of the floor with many construction components, such as foundation wall and subfloor, being connected to it. Sealing all the cracks formed by these components can lower utility bills and help improve the indoor air quality. Insulating rim joists with spray foam insulation can create an airtight seal that helps improve the indoor air quality. Count on O’Reilly Brothers for long lasting spray foam insulation services throughout Ottawa. We have been providing insulation services such as blown cellulose and sprayed fireproofing insulation since 1967.
INSULATING RIM JOISTS WITH SPRAY FOAM INSULATION
Rim joists are often uninsulated and the only thing that separates them from the outside air is sheathing and siding. They are exposed to the weather elements outside and need insulation. With fibreglass insulation, moisture usually condenses near the rim joists. Spray foam insulation can fit into the rim joist cavity and seal the gaps. Know your building code as some areas might require a thermal barrier material between the insulation and the interior occupied space.
ADVANTAGES OF USING SPRAY FOAM INSULATION FOR RIM JOISTS
Spray foam insulation helps reduce heating and cooling costs by up to 50%, according to the Canadian Urethane Foam Contractors Association. Other benefits of spray foam insulation for rim joists are:
· Closed-cell spray foam does not retain water and prevents the growth of mould near the rim joists
· With spray foam insulation, you will be able to save a significant amount on your energy expenses. Airflow issues surrounding the rim joists will also be taken care of with this insulation
· Spray foam insulation can seal holes and cracks near the rim joists thoroughly as it expands quickly. This insulation creates an airtight seal that is less permeable to air movement as compared to other insulation types and it also reduces drafts near the floorboard
· Spray foam insulation lasts longer, so you don't have to replace or upgrade the insulation for at least 20 years with proper maintenance
· Spray foam insulation can protect your attic, crawlspace and rim joists from airborne moisture and leaks. This insulation will also not absorb water in the event of flooding, unlike other insulation materials
· Spray foam insulation will not lose its R-value (heat resistance of a material; the higher the R-Value, the greater the insulating power) over time
· Closed-cell spray foam insulation can protect your home from ants, rodents and insects
The polyurethane spray foam insulation process requires expensive equipment that can only be handled by professionally trained contractors. Our professional staff has the necessary training and protective gear to apply spray foam insulation to your homes.
Contact us today to insulate your home with spray foam insulation.